About the Position
SCG is seeking to hire 1-3 Senior Program Officers to lead projects within SCG’s portfolio of security sector capacity building programs. Senior Program Officers are responsible for leading project implementation and managing project teams for assigned projects, including overseeing the planning and timely execution of all project activities, coordinating stakeholder engagement, ensuring project staff adhere to SCG’s security protocols and project design standards, and conducting M&E and project reporting.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
Ideal candidates will have experience leading the design and implementation of security sector projects overseas, ideally in Africa, and managing complex international teams in multiple locations. Additionally, candidates will be well versed in security sector reform best practices, have knowledge and experience in designing and implementing effective capacity building approaches, and experience working with or for the U.S. government or other international donors. Candidates should also be able to demonstrate effective communications skills, including experience training and engaging with high level security sector officials (e.g. police, ministry of interior, ministry of justice), the ability to produce publishable quality written products, and excellent planning and team management skills. Specifically, the ideal candidate will:
• Be able to work professionally in English and with some facility in French;
• Be willing to be located at SCG’s McLean, VA offices and travel frequently;
• Hold a master’s degree in security studies or a related discipline. Candidates with significant law enforcement experience are also welcome to apply;
• At least ten years of project implementation experience with at least three years of project management experience, ideally overseas;
• Proven experience in security sector capacity building assessment, design and implementation, with experience designing, leading, and evaluating training preferred;
• Proven record of analytic excellence and report writing; and
• A record of stakeholder engagement and relationship building, ideally with security sector stakeholders (e.g. police, ministries of interior).
About Strategic Capacity Group
Strategic Capacity Group (SCG) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to enhancing the ability of the United States and its partners to build strategic security sector capacity both at home and abroad. SCG assists donor countries to enhance the sustainability and impact of their foreign assistance approaches and recipient countries to deliver security appropriately, effectively, accountably, and in accordance with the rule of law. Through this approach, SCG helps build human and institutional capacity worldwide.
How to Apply
Please send resume or CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.