Timeframe: Summer 2019
About the Position
Strategic Capacity Group (SCG) seeks to hire a Program Officer to advance its mission of strategic capacity-building worldwide. The position will focus on the design, implementation, and evaluation of community policing capacity-building projects in Senegal, Burkina Faso, Niger and Mali. This position will report to the Senior Program Officer and coordinate with other project staff at headquarters and in the region, local subgrantee organizations, consultants and technical experts.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
Ideal candidates will have knowledge and experience advising on security sector best practices, engaging high level security sector officials (e.g. police, ministry of interior, ministry of justice), working closely with civil society organizations, and conducting security sector assessments and capacity building activities.
Specifically, the ideal candidate will:
• Be willing to be based at SCG’s headquarters in McLean VA and travel to West Africa;
• Be fluent in English and at least one other foreign language (French highly preferred);
• Hold a master’s degree in security studies or a related discipline with knowledge of community policing and/or Security Sector Reform (SSR) processes and best practices;
• Have at least two, but ideally five, years of experience supporting project implementation overseas. Relevant experience includes project planning, design and delivery of project activities, M&E and project reporting, recruitment of overseas staff, and/or project logistics;
• Be familiar with U.S. government grant guidelines, security assistance programs, and/or U.S. Embassy programs and processes, including Leahy vetting;
• Have organizational and problem-solving skills to enable sound decision-making;
• Use excellent communication and relationship-building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; and
• Effectively multitask in a fast-paced environment.
About Strategic Capacity Group
Strategic Capacity Group (SCG) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to enhancing the ability of the United States and its partners to build strategic security sector capacity both at home and abroad. SCG assists donor countries to enhance the sustainability and impact of their foreign assistance approaches and recipient countries to deliver security appropriately, effectively, accountably, and in accordance with the rule of law. Through this approach, SCG helps build human and institutional capacity worldwide. Visit our website at www.strategiccapacity.org.
How to Apply
Please send resume or CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Salary ($60,000-$80,000) commensurate with experience.