Strategic Capacity Group’s (SCG) is seeking to hire a Director of Programs to manage SCG’s global portfolio of projects and direct the organization’s strategic capacity building mission in coordination with internal and external stakeholders. S/he reports to the President and serves as an integral member of the SCG Executive Team. The Director of Programs manages deputy directors, ensuring the timely and high-quality delivery of all project activities in accordance with grant/donor requirements and for ensuring that Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) captures achievement of project output, outcomes, and impact. The Director of Programs is also responsible for directing the optimal use of resources and managing external relationships with donors, partners, and other stakeholders in coordination with and in support of SCG’s President.
Ideal candidates will have a passion for building an organization or working in a fast-paced, small organization seeking to scale and consolidate. Candidates will also have experience working overseas, and a successful record of managing and integrating complex operations with globally dispersed staff and communicating effectively with senior internal and external stakeholders.
1. Manage SCG’s Programs Department to design and implement SCG’s global portfolio of projects. Specifically,
- Line management of Deputy Directors of Programs to ensure timely and high-quality deliver of SCG’s projects.
- Effective planning of all assigned programs and projects, integrating both conceptual and design elements with logistics and implementation requirements, to meet grant timelines.
- Timely and accurate project financial reporting and oversight of project budgets and spend plans, including communications with donors.
- Approval of project design, development, and implementation in accordance with SCG’s strategic capacity building approach and donor/grant requirements, including:
- Assessment methodologies and plans
- Training, workshop and other event agenda and syllabi
- Research or project finding report design
- Stakeholder engagement plans and briefings
- Content of guidelines, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), strategies and other institution-building documents and processes
- M&E methodologies, data collection activities, data analysis, and reporting designs
- Design, structure, and content of all project deliverables for external dissemination, including end-of-mission and end-of-project reports.
2. Manage Program Department’s human capital requirements, in coordination with Human Resources.
- Recruitment of Subject Matter Experts (SME) and local staff to support project implementation.
- Recruitment of project staff at headquarters and in the field.
- Develop training to address human capital development requirements.
- Mentor staff and evaluate staff performance.
3. Direct coordination of the Programs Department with other SCG departments, including with
- the Department of Knowledge Management to ensure programming meets the highest standards of quality and protects the SCG brand,
- the Global Operations, Planning and Security Department to ensure timely planning for and delivery of project logistics and security, and
- the Finance and Administration Department to ensure project delivery adheres to budgetary guidelines, requirements, and constraints.
4. Contribute to the development of new SCG programs in coordination with the President, the development team, and the Department of Knowledge Management.
- Cultivate external relationships with donors, partners, and other stakeholders in support of SCG’s mission.
- Generate opportunities for project extensions and amendments, in coordination with SCG’s development team and the President.
5. Works collaboratively with the President and SCG’s Executive Team to shape the organization’s strategy, priorities, and future growth.
6. Performs other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- A successful track record, with clear evidence of accomplishments, in setting priorities and managing diverse and dispersed teams internationally.
- Seven-ten years of progressive experience managing programs or a portfolio of programs. At least two years in a director or deputy director function highly preferred.
- Experience delivering programming overseas, ideally in support of U.S. government grants or contracts.
- Keen senior-level organizational and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with the ability to engage senior stakeholders and represent the organization internationally.
- Willing and able to travel as needed.
- A Master’s Degree in Security Studies or a related discipline, with knowledge of Security Sector Reform processes and best practices preferred.
About Strategic Capacity Group
Strategic Capacity Group (SCG) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to enhancing the ability of the United States and its partners to build strategic security sector capacity both at home and abroad.
How to Apply
Please send resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.